Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Gluten-Free & Tasty: Bars

We are always on the lookout for tasty, nutritious, gluten-free "granola" bars for Brad to take on the go. So far, these are our favorites. I think they're a delicious treat, though due to cost I usually come back to Kashi TLC Granola Bars (they have good nutrients but not too much sugar). Note: all of these bars contain nuts.


image from gliving.tv

Larabar. These raw-food wonders come in an array of flavors--I'm especially drawn to the chocolate variety, especially the Jocolat bars, but I've enjoyed every one I've tried (mmm, pistachio...). They are tangy and filling and pretty widely available--our Costco has them, or you can find them at any health food store, or in the health food aisles at your grocery store, or on amazon.com, where they are consistently the best deal (for a case). You will likely find the most flavors at a health food store or online.

Mrs. May's Trio Bars. These bars also feature a very short ingredient list. Read: Cashew, Almonds, Pistachios, Cranberries, Sesame Seeds, Sunflower S. No wonder eating them feels like immediate health boost! These are also available at our Costco, or online.

Tiger's Milk Bar. The original gluten-free snack bar, these are more candy than granola. They offer sweet taste and a nice boost of protein. They're better than a peanut butter cup, but with a similar flavor. They're available at health food stores, and most grocery stores.

Some others to look for:
Organic Food Bars (I'm not sure if all flavors are gf, so check the label to be sure)
Think Thin Bars (Again, I'm not sure if all flavors are gf, so check the label to be sure)

Gluten-free or wheaty, what's YOUR favorite snack bar?

3 comments:

Greg said...

A bar troglodyte, I only have real experience with Balance Bars. At Wal-Mart, they are about a dollar and they're just on the not-tasty side enough to make me think they're healthy. I take chocolate peanut butter. Your post makes me think their ingredient list is too long (cf. _In defense of food_ by Michael Pollan), so some of the ones you mention are going to get a
second look. Thanks!

Kalli said...

Oh my goodness, I just found the most amazing food website ever! I was reading a recipe for a gluten-free chocolate cake, and immediately thought of you. The link is: http://www.latartinegourmande.com/2007/09/12/chocolate-amaranth-quinoa-cake/

If you try it out, let me know how it is! I think I will be giving it a try in the near future as well. There are a few other gf recipes on the site as well; unfortunately she doesn't always have recipes to go along with the mouth-watering pictures. Anyway, enjoy!

meg said...

thanks, kalli! i'll let you know if i try it. thanks for keeping your eyes open.