Monday, December 3, 2007

Going Green


Brussels sprouts are named for their place of origin.

I've been tempted to try Brussels sprouts for months, and today I finally did. Mundane indulgence, I know. After Brad's warning that they are often bitter, I settled on the following recipe from the Joy of Cooking, which is introduced like this:
"Ethan Becker was always disappointed by Brussels sprouts--until he tried these."
If they're good enough for Ethan Becker, I thought, they are good enough for me. I would recommend these to anyone. They also fall into the category of "fancy-named recipes that make me feel like more of a chef" (I'm working on a shorter title for that). I'm not about to keep that wonderful feeling all to myself: here's the recipe.
------------------------------------------------
Brussels Sprouts Cockaigne
2 to 4 servings

Rinse, pat dry, and slice in half lengthwise:
12 Brussels sprouts

Warm in a medium skillet over medium-low heat:
3 Tablespoons butter, or 1-1/2 Tablespoons butter & 1-1/2 Tablespoons olive oil

Add and Cook, stirring, until beginning to brown:
1 to 2 cloves garlic, crushed

Remove the garlic from the skillet with a slotted spoon and discard. Place the sprouts cut side down in the garlic butter. Cover and cook over low heat until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Arrange on a warm platter and drizzle with any remaining butter. Serve with:
Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
------------------------------------------------

I didn't add the parmesan, but that would be even more delicious. I ate the tender, lightly garlicky and sweet Brussels sprouts over a bowl of white rice. They reminded me of steamed artichokes, another of my favorite green treats.


No comments: