Sunday, January 18, 2009

Coconut Flour and Blitztorte! (gluten-free lemon cupcakes)

I always feel that German titles should end with an exclamation point, especially when the title happens to mean "quick lemon cake!" Oh, so this one gets an exclamation point in English too.
Week two of the pancake themed-tradition and I'm already changing the subject. Cupcakes aren't exactly the health food I have been trying to feed my family either. But in the name of culinary science, I carry on.
The original recipe comes from The Joy of Cooking, and chances are, it's fantastic. The thing is, this is my first time making this cake, and I've already strayed from the recipe quite a bit. Here's what I've done. I'll let you know how it works once they've cooled. They're out of the oven, they're lemon scented (as promised), but also with a hint of coconut. And they did not rise above the top of the pans...
Coconut flour. I happened upon its existence on a website the other day. The writer glorified coconut flour as a gluten-free sweet savior of sorts, so off the PCC I went. I am excited to see all the different kinds of flour Bob's Red Mill produces (and labels so clearly): almond, hazelnut, carob. I've known about tapioca and potato (hello delicious pizza and scones), but green pea and black bean? Intriguing. Anyway, in my new-food excitement, I bought some coconut flour. Because I would love to make a light, fluffy chocolate cake for my son's first birthday next month.

Gluten-Free Blitztorte Cupcakes
3/4 cup rice flour
1/4 coconut flour
1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter

1 cup sugar

3 large eggs

1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
2 Tablespoons lemon juice (about one lemon; you'll have left over zest)

1/3 cup chopped or sliced natural (unblanched) almonds or other nuts (optional, for topping)
1 heaping Tablespoon sugar (optional, for topping)

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease and flour one 8x2" round pan or line the bottom with wax or parchment paper, or prepare cupcake pan
Whisk together the dry ingredients.
In a large bowl, beat the butter until creamy, about 30 seconds.
Gradually add the sugar and beat on high speed until lightened in color and texture, 3 to 5 minutes.
Beat in eggs one at a time.
Beat in the zest and lemon juice.
Stir in the flour mixture just until smooth. Scrape the batter into the pan and spread evenly. If desired, sprinkle the top of the mixture with 1/3 cup chopped or sliced natural almonds or other nuts and 1 heaping Tablespoon of sugar.
Bake until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle, about 30 to 35 minutes, about 20 minutes for cupcakes. For a real treat, try baking cupcakes in ice cream cones (bake for about 25 minutes). Let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from pan.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The verdict: When they were warm, they were a little too soft and moist, but the flavor was delicious. As promised, the coconut flavor was not too noticeable. The next day Brad told me the cupcakes were delicious and worth making again. Next time I'll try the topping or a different icing (not cream cheese, it's too heavy) and mixing sorghum in instead of some of the rice flour.
Overall, delicious and easy. And I think coconut flour is here to stay.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Wow. Who knew there were so many flours available? Crazy world. Except carob, of course. We always had a container of that growing up. I always liked it, as long as you don't think of it as a chocolate substitute.

Good luck with the chocolate cake!