Sunday, February 1, 2009

Gluten-Free Blueberry Pancakes

It's official: coconut flour is here to stay. It improves the texture without the starchiness. Today's Sunday Pancake Special: Blueberry Pancakes.
I got the base for this recipe from my mother-in-law, and they have been quite tasty. For a lower-fat version, you can substitute yogurt or applesauce for the oil. I was out of oil, so I tried yogurt. I'm glad to know that works in a pinch, but next time I don't think I'll worry about the 1 teaspoon of oil. You can also make these with all rice flour.

Gluten-Free Blueberry Pancakes

½ cup regular rice flour minus 1 Tablespoon
1 Tablespoon coconut flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1½ teaspoons sugar

1 egg
1 teaspoon corn oil
¾ cup buttermilk

¼ teaspoon baking soda

1/4 cup to 1/2 cup blueberries.

Mix together the dry ingredients. Set aside.
Mix together the egg, corn oil, and buttermilk. Add the baking soda.
Add the dry ingredients and mix together.
Fold in the blueberries, if using.
Grease heated pan and pour batter onto hot pan by ladles full.
Serve with maple syrup, honey, or other syrup of choice. Or not. Mmmm.

No comments: