Monday, March 16, 2009

A Few Random Food Lists

The more I learn about food and cooking, the more new foods I discover and want to try. I've been inspired by recipes with healthy foods; by French, Asian, and Mexican recipes; and by blogs like this one. I'm especially inspired by fruits and vegetables, and using different sweeteners (I'll let you know about these honey muffins I just made), and gluten-free whole grain baking ingredients.
As a list person with a budget, I've decided to make a list of the ingredients I would like to try (the budget part: I'm making this list instead of buying all these right now). If you have any recommendations for the ingredients I list, please let me know.


A Few Ingredients Tried:
100% pure maple syrup. deliciously sweet but not too sweet. We like grade A, haven't tried B.
Turbinado sugar. works so well with chocolate and great for sprinkling on top of baked goods.
Leeks. I love them. They have made this winter feel fresher and sweeter. They are especially good with wild rice and in soups.
Roasted Nectarines. So good with tapioca pudding.
Tapioca pudding. Delicious from scratch or a mix.
Coconut flour. I've raved before and I'll say it again: tasty.
Dried Apricots. These have been a great addition to fruit purees and pear sauce.
Fingerling potatoes. They had a strong potato flavor and tasted good without any adornment.
Cooking wine. We weren't big fans and tend to use chicken stock or broth instead.
Chicken broth or stock, and vegetable broth. So much better than my bouillion cubes. Now I just need to use up those cubes...

Foods to try:
Carob dust. Out of curiosity.
Currants. I've heard we can get fresh currants in Seattle in the spring. I would love to try fresh and dried and currant jelly. The jelly is especially good with fruit tarts.
Gluten-free fruit tarts. My husband is revising a pie crust recipe that will make these worth trying.
Roasted leeks.
Flaxseed.
Sea salt. I just bought some fine sea salt for baking (instead of the girl with the umbrella kind), and use kosher salt for most of my cooking. I'm feeling ready to expand to the sea.
Vinaigrette and homemade salad dres
sing.
Sucanat or evaporated cane juice. mostly because I would love to duplicate Bob's Red Mill chocolate cake mix and this is the sweetener they used.
Vanilla bean. I have made the switch to real vanilla (thank you, Costco--better price and gluten-free). For a special occasion I would love to try the beans.
Saffron. A key ingredient in the best Indian food. Someday I will feel daring enough to try this pricey spice.
Prosciutto. I've had it, but I haven't cooked with it.

Vanilla Ice Cream Toppings We love:
Rice Chex (add with a little sugar if desired). they taste like crushed ice cream cone.
Pecans and a drizzle of honey. This got me through January in a sweet way.
Candy or fruit. nothing original here, but always a winner.

Ice Cream Alternatives:
Yoplait Whips (I like to stick them in the freezer, especially any of the chocolate whips)
Frozen blueberries with milk and sugar. the milk freezes around the blueberries in a delightfully icy way.
Instant pudding. This is especially good with fruit.
Strawberry honey smoothie. So delicious. The honey makes all the difference in this yogurt-berry treat.

Foods that make me excited for Spring:
Asparagus. Roasted with a little olive oil and salt and pepper is so good.
Artichokes. I want to try them steamed like my good friend did.
Rhubarb. I will attempt another gluten-free strawberry-rhubarb crumble.
Fava beans.
Figs. I want to try these again, dipped in chocolate or wrapped in prosciutto.
Strawberries. Not the overgrown kind we get at the grocery store. The homegrown kind--smaller and sweeter.

Delicous Food Combinations:
bacon and asparagus (prosciutto would be good too)
strawberry and honey
honey and pecan
turbinado or brown sugar (any sweetener with more molasses) and chocolate
potatoes and leeks
leeks and mushrooms
salmon and leeks
crepes and fruit
pudding and fruit
citrus and vanilla
citrus and berries
citrus and chocolate
butternut squash and ginger
soy and ginger
chocolate and zucchini
lime and cilantro

That's all I can think of for now. What about you? Anything on my lists you want to try, or have tried?

3 comments:

Whitney said...

Wow. I've really been missing out on this! I'll be trying one Meg recipe a week from now on.

Whitney said...

Have I sent you my recipe with Leeks and Proscuitto?

Butternut Squash and Ginger sounds good. And I never would have thought about Rice Chex on ice cream. I'll have to try that tonight.

Whitney said...

Also, my absolute favorite dessert combination right now is Nutella and strawberries.