Thursday, March 12, 2009

When the Sweet Tooth Aches (GF Crepes)

That's how my sweet cravings feel, sometimes--this longing, aching for sweet and chocolatey and delicious.
So what's a person to do in the face of such cravings?
I heard once that eating a piece of fruit and drinking water can help satisfy the sweet famishment (also I wanted to use the word famishment).
I've found pairing something sweet with something whole grain (and thus more filling) helps.
Fruit desserts are always winners.
Jell-O Instant pudding, especially with fruit.
And here's a new one for the list:
Crepes.

Gluten-free crepes are so simple, every time I make them I wonder why we don't make them more often. If you haven't tried them, you should! They're delicious and fat free and very versatile--great with everything from fresh fruit and yogurt to pudding or cool whip and bananas. And that's just the sweet stuff.
Crepes. Try some today. Here's how.

Gluten-Free Crepes
(I don't know where the recipe originated, but it wasn't with me. Thank you, whoever you are.)

2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup rice flour
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Beat the eggs just until blended. Add the salt, milk and flour. Whisk until smooth.
2. Cover the batter and let rest 15 minutes. The batter should be thin. (Just enough to coat a spoon dipped in it.) Add more milk if the batter is too thick.
3. Heat a frying pan with butter or vegetable oil to grease the pan.
4. Working quickly, pour 1/4 cup of batter for a small crepe, or 1/3 cup batter for a larger crepe, into the hot pan. Tilt the pan so that the batter spreads out evenly. Cook on one side (it cooks quickly), turn with a spatula and cook the other side.
5. Pile the cooked crepes on a plate. Refrigerate if not using immediately. These may be prepared up to a day ahead of time.

Ideas for filling:
It works best to use a combination of creamy, fruity, and if you choose, a garnish.

Creamy
sweetened sour cream (start with 2 Tablespoons sour cream per serving; add brown or white sugar to taste. The cream will become runnier as you add more sugar.)
cool whip (a low-fat, low calorie option. Not exactly health food, but mmm. Especially with bananas)
yogurt

Fruity
berries
berry syrup
jam or fruit preserves
poached fruit, such as pears or peaches
bananas
fruit salad mix--diced berries, mango, kiwi
even canned fruit--mandarin oranges, pineapple, peaches, pears...

Garnish
citrus zest (lemon and orange are tasty with berries)
chocolate sauce
shaved chocolate
a drizzle of poaching syrup
fruit juice
whipped cream or cool whip
toasted nuts or coconut
drizzle of caramel sauce

There's no way I have all the options here--what do you or would you add?

4 comments:

Katie said...

Oooh... I've been wanting to try my hand at crepes for a while now. I think I'll need a non-stick pan though. Have you tried them with yogurt instead of sour cream? I bet that would be good. Sweetened with a little honey or sugar, of course. I'm on a replace sour cream with plain yogurt kick, though, so I may not be a reliable source.

We had a crepe in Spain that was a lemon/orange syrup with powdered sugar. It was delicious. White chocolate syrup is great too.

Also, kudos on famishment. Kudos.

meg said...

that's a good idea to try plain yogurt with a little sugar--I know vanilla yogurt is delicious.
How could I forget honey?
Mmmm. White chocolate sauce. That would go well with--anything, really.
thanks, katie!

meg said...

we have nonstick pans and it works well. you might be able to pull it off with lots of nonstick spray--i have to spray our pans, too.

Whitney said...

OK. I'm finally going to try this this week. I think we may do plain yogurt with a mixed berry sauce (because that's what I have and I don't want to go shopping).