Monday, March 9, 2009

Putting it Together: Spicy Turkey Sausage and Wild Rice Pilaf

As I've learned some recipes and cooking techniques and thought more about what types of foods work well together, I have felt more comfortable putting together meals. I don't always do it--too often we are missing a green vegetable at dinner. When I do trust my instincts, it's always a learning experience (and often delicious).
I found some turkey sausage on sale at the grocery store last week--the use/freeze by date was coming up so it was half off. It made a delicious meal paired with wild rice pilaf (recipe below). All we were missing: some kind of green, either a salad or roasted asparagus or green beans. The rice was perfect with the spicy sausage, especially with the addition of sauteed mushrooms and leeks. All together it was spicy and buttery and delicious. It was also incredibly easy--cook the sausage (already in links). Cook the rice. Boom. About 40 minutes.

Wild Rice Pilaf

Cook the wild rice according to the directions on the package. Be sure to use salt, whether instructed to or not.
Meanwhile, melt butter or heat olive oil (to taste) in a frying pan or skillet, over medium heat. Add leeks, onions, or shallots (your choice, sliced or chopped) and cook until a little softer. Add mushrooms and cook all until soft and fragrant.
Add sauteed vegetables to wild rice and serve.
Other excellent additions: chopped fresh parsley; finely chopped garlic; toasted sliced almonds.

Today I used some of the leftover wild rice to make a salmon salad. Also easy.

Wild Rice Salmon Green Salad


Leftover wild rice, reheated if desired
Leafy greens of choice (I chose romaine from a salad bag, even faster)
Cooked salmon (mine was canned) (leftover chicken would be excellent too, or sausage or whatever kind of meat or protein you have on hand)
Lemon juice, to taste (I used this instead of salad dressing)
Fresh grated parmesan (or romano), if desired

This was a winner too--satisfying and tasty. I'm trying to change my mindset about salad, and this type of meal definitely helped.
What kind of meals do you throw together for lunch or dinner?

No comments: