Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Thai Request

Is it lame to post a semi-lame post? Probably, but i'm tired of seeing that nagging date back in January of my last post. Elsha, this one is especially for you.
I would love to say I make amazing Thai food from scratch, on my own. Well, not yet. And I can't really speak to authenticity either. However, I do know good food when I eat it, and that's Thai Kitchen. Their rice noodle soups, noodle carts, and rice noodle stir fries are staples in our pantry. If you feel like making something a little more culinary (and spicy), try making a curry with one of their curry pastes. We have tried both red and green and like them both. This recipe comes from the Thai Kitchen website; you can also find it, or a similar recipe, on their curry paste bottles. There's nothing like spicy food when it's cold and drab outside.
Another perk? They are great about marking whether their products are gluten-free: they will actually say Gluten-Free. So if you or someone you know is looking for quick and easy meals, check out their selection.

Green Curry with Basil

Smooth and rich with a delicate hint of basil.

1 (14 oz.) can Thai Kitchen Pure Coconut Milk (Regular or Lite)
1-4 Tbs. Thai Kitchen Green Curry Paste
1/3 cup vegetable or chicken stock
2-3 Tbs. Thai Kitchen Premium Fish Sauce
2 Tbs. brown sugar
1⁄4 cup chopped basil leaves
1 1⁄2 cups assorted vegetables, cut into 1” pieces (try red bell pepper, zucchini, peas, or your favorite combination)
12 oz. chicken breast, cut into 1” pieces
Thai Kitchen Jasmine Rice

Mix the coconut milk, green curry paste, stock, fish sauce, brown sugar and basil in a 2 quart saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the vegetables and chicken and simmer for an additional 10 minutes, until the chicken is thoroughly cooked. Serve over cooked Thai Kitchen Jasmine Rice. Serves 4.

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

How do you feel about lite coconut milk? I mean, is the regular stuff bad for you or is it "good fat"? I guess I could look it up somewhere; just wondering about your take on it. Also, I've only had stuff like this in restaurants so I assume they use regular coconut milk, but do you know if it is just as good with lite milk?
Thanks!
By the way, congratulations on your new little one. So cute. And Jane seems like she'll be a great big sister.

Greg said...

You've persuaded me to give Thai Kitchen a try. Thank you.

meg said...

i'm no authority on any of this, but here's my opinion on lite coconut milk: it's great. i've honestly never noticed a difference. it seems to go that way with really flavorful food, and i like to make this thai food pretty spicy.

Smelsha said...

Meg, I feel so bad. After I asked you to share a Thai recipe I forgot to check back soon thereafter and then somehow lost the address to your cooking blog. Anyway, I'm happy to say that I just discovered it off of a comment you left on Brianne's blog so we will be having Green Curry with Basil and Corn Chowder next week. Thanks for the recipes, you're the best!

Smelsha said...

Well, I must live in Nowhere, USA because my grocery store doesn't have green curry. Sheesh! They do have red though.